The following content does not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Dear Chung Institute Patients,
Apparently, most morbidity, mortality related toCOVID-19 occurs because of a “cytokine storm” that occurs in the later stages of the infection. In effect, it is the body’s excess abnormal response that causes massive swelling in the lungs. These inflammatory cytokines called “inflammasomes” are what kills patients. We believe the following measures will be helpful in reducing the likelihood of the “cytokine storm” that occurs in the later stages of the covid-19 infection.
Standard measures of prevention:
- hand wash or wipe hands with alcohol based sanitzer after touching potentially infected surfaces
- avoid crowds whenever possible
- get in the habit of never shaking hands
Our additional suggestions:
- Vitamin D3 500-1000 IU per year of age for children. Adults take 10,000 IU and Vitamin K2 180-200mcg per 5000 IU. The brand “K-Force” (which is what we use most of the time in our office) has the combination 5,000 IU of Vit D3/ 180mcg K2 we prefer. Those with history of kidney stones should not exceed 5,000 IU’s and drink at least 6-8 glasses of fluid per day.
- Vitamin C at least 2,000mg a day or as much as your bowels can tolerate. Blend with some juice/frozen berries and a tablespoon of grass-fed butter or unprocessed coconut oil. This will make it liposomal which allows for better absorption. Chinese health authorities are recommending taking 2000mg a day. China has the lowest number of new cases!! If you are in the high-risk group, consider taking as much as 1gm every waking hour.
- Melatonin at least 5-10mg/day. At risk group take 50mg a day.
- Magnesium supplements: Epsom salt baths are the best. (3 cups in a bath, soak for 30 minutes). Taking oral forms will aggravate the diarrhea you will get with the vitamin C.
- Andrographis: if you happen to have “Quintessence” at home (which contains Andrographis), take one dropper full twice daily. If you have “Cocktail” at home, which also contains Andrographis, you can take 4 drops per day.
- Propolis tincture or vaporizer
At first sign of infection, self-quarantine and try the following.
This is a method I have used numerous times on myself and family members when I am travelling and can’t get to the office to make a custom remedy. It is useful for most acute viral illness especially if taken early and has frequently helped abort or mitigate acute infections.
- Korsakov method: Obtain a small glass vial (1/2 oz to 1 oz is ideal) or a small glass jar. Fill ¾ of the container with water.
- Get a sample of your secretions from your throat or nose or lung (swab your throat with a Q-tip and/or blow your nose and/or cough hard onto a paper towel). Take the swab of the specimen with a Q-tip and swirl it into the above container that is filled with water.
- Close the container tightly and pound it onto your palm repeatedly and vigorously 50 times. This method of shaking and mixing is called “succussing or succussion”. This solution is now called the mother isode.
- Take the mother isode container and gently poor out all the liquid content into the kitchen drain without shaking the container. There is a remaining liquid that is coating the surface of the container it is important that you leave this trace amount in the container.
- Fill this container ¾ back up with water that has this trace amount of the mother isode and then vigorously succuss the container by pounding it onto your palm. This is now called a Korsakov dilution #1 (K-1)
- Repeat step 3 and 4 by gently draining out the liquid, refilling ¾ of container with water and succussing 50 times. Now you have a K-2 dilution.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 again to make K-3 dilution.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 again to make K-4 dilution.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 again to make K-5 dilution the final dilution.
- Administer one drop of this final dilution under your tongue at least ½ hour away from eating, chewing gum brushing your teeth, or drinking a flavored beverage. Repeat every 12 hours until you feel well. Make sure you put your name on this container so that you do not mix it with any family members isodes.
Treatments showing promise
If you are ill or test positive but are not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital, the following treatments have the best evidence so far of effective treatment:
- Hydroxychloroquine 400mg a day plus azithromycin 250mg for 7-10 days. (100% cure in 40 cases in China). Those on heart medications or oral anti fungal medications need to be very cautious. (prescription required)
- Chloroquine phosphate 500mg twice daily for 10 days was also effective. Many complete cures were seen on this treatment in China. (prescription required)
- IV vitamin C 24gm a day (the Chinese demonstrated great results)
- We do not have IV Vitamin therapy available at the Chung Institute at this time.
- If IV Vitamin C is not available: Take oral high dose 500mg to 1000mg of vitamin C every ½ hour until you reach bowel tolerance i.e. you begin having loose stools or diarrhea. Add up the total dose that you took (4 to 12 pills depending on the individual’s bowel tolerance) and take that total dose every 4 to 6 hours (adjust it lower if repeat dose caused too much diarrhea). For example, if you took 4000mg in 2 hour before getting diarrhea, you can try taking this dose every 2-4 hours. There is almost no upper limit. You can take as much as 30,000 mg a day as long as diarrhea is not severe.
- Unfortunately, both Chloroquine phosphate and Hydroxychloroquine are in short supply and IV vitamin C is not mainstream.
- A reasonable alternative is nitazoxanide (Alinia)1,000 mg twice daily which is more available but expensive. This treatment is not proven for COVID-19 but was effective for the more deadly SARS virus which is a sister coronavirus. (prescription required)
- 10,000 IU Vitamin D3and Vitamin K2 180-200mcg per 5000 IU. The brand “K-Force” (which is what we use most of the time in our office) has the combination 5,000 IU of Vit D3/ 180mcg K2. Those with history of kidney stones should not exceed 5,000 IU’s and drink at least 6-8 glasses of fluid per day.
- Avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) such as Advil, Aleve, naproxen, Motrin or ibuprofen.
- Humming regularly. This may sound ridiculous but there is good evidence that it can reduce severity .
- Melatonin 50mg -100mg a day ( if taken orally, need to divide to 12.5-25mg every 6 hours). There is significant chance it will reduce the severity of the illness by reducing inflammasomes. See Endnotes for more details.
- Turn off your WiFi at night because it lowers melatonin levels.
For fevers: Some studies show that fever reduces the speed of viral and bacterial growth. Generally we prefer that you avoid acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, or Naprosyn (Aleve) if possible. Instead, go to bed and pile on several blankets to promote an even higher fever until you sweat it out and allow the fever to break naturally. One medical paper pointed out that taking pain/fever reducing medication actually prolongs the viral shedding, will more likely mask your illness and make you feel well enough to socialize or go to work which in turn spreads your illness to others instead of getting proper rest. Stay home and rest.
Self-quarantine: Sleep in a separate bed. Avoid contaminating hard surfaces. Wash your own hands frequently especially after you have touched your mouth/nose/ eyes, so that you do not contaminate other people. Do not shake hands. If you are coughing, use a simple surgical mask, wear it to protect others. (Simple surgical masks do little to protect you from catching infections from others but will reduce the number of infectious droplets from your cough or sneezing).
Do not go to the doctor’s office there is no effective treatment for most acute viral infections. Most offices do not have on site testing for flu or coronavirus. Going to a doctor early in the course of a viral illness usually does not reduce the duration of the illness better than following these recommendations. If you must go to a doctor or urgent care call in advance to ensure they have the ability to test for coronavirus. If you have shortness of breath, feel delirious, or feel much sicker than an average cold or flu please go to the emergency room.
 Vitamin D has been shown to reduce the most viral upper respiratory infections and flu by 50%. It also modulates any excess inflammation.
 Vitamin C helps increase crucial T-lymphocytes and natural killer cells. It inhibits production of Furin. Furin is necessary for the virus to become activated.
 Vitamin C inhibits activation of NLRP-3inflammasomes decreasing interleukin 1b. 50 tons of Vitamin C was delivered to the Wu Han. It also raises nitrous oxide (NO) levels.
 Published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Medicine: Humming increases the nitrous oxide (NO) levels in the sinuses and upper airways by 15 fold!! NO is a potent inhibitor of inflammasomes. NO is also directly toxic to viruses and bacteria.
 Melatonin has been shown to reduce inflammatory cytokines. Pregnant women and children have the highest levels of melatonin and have zero Covid 19 mortality. This might explain the higher death rates in older patients. The older you are the lower your melatonin levels. WiFi/EMF lowers melatonin levels which might explain sporadic deaths in young adults.